RP Project-Die Cast parts

From: Sean M Gladieux (Gladieux_Sean_M@CAT.com)
Date: Thu Aug 05 1999 - 21:07:30 EEST

Well, I am taking the leap of faith here. I have been reading this RP list for
 quite some time but haven't yet posted any messages. But I think it is about
 time.

I am a graduate student at Bradley University, Peoria Illinois and am just
 beginning to develop my masters project proposal for my MS in Manufacturing
 Enginering. I am interested in performing a cost analysis of RP part
 manufacture compared to traditional part manufacture. I am thinking about
 selecting a fuel filter base part for a heavy duty industrial engine. The part
 is normally die casted. The part has been manufactured with RP technology by
 John Howarter of Caterpillar Inc, so I know it can be done. What I plan to do
 is to analyize the cost benefit ratios, and cost savings of using RP
 technology to produce over die casting with CNC produced dies.

What I would like from anyone who has lasted this long into my message is any
 advice or input as to where I should go with this project. This is an open
 ended request. I was just wondering if anyone out there has already performed
 this type of analysis and if so would you share your insights with me. I would
 like to be able to contact you during my project's development if possible
 too.

Any input is always appreciated.

I can be reached via personal email at ssglad@cat.com

Sean M. Gladieux
Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering and Technology Department
Bradley University
Peoria, Il 61629