Re: Feedback on SLS Windows NT Software by DTM

From: David K. Leigh (dkleigh@harvest-tech.com)
Date: Thu Jul 29 1999 - 17:18:12 EEST

Bottom Line: Upgrade now or upgrade later, because the UNIX system will no
longer be supported and I never heard of a hard drive lasting forever.

Benefits:
*Upgrade path - You are no longer restricted to DTM computers and operating
systems. You can upgrade components on the computer and even the computer
itself without a huge fear of affecting compatability. You also have
product support with NT through Microsoft (tongue placed firmly in cheek).
*Speed - Build save time and slicing time is much, much faster.
*File Size - STL files can now be huge and not bog down the system.

Issues:
*Slicer - There are some bugs in the current slicer (which I think is being
EC'd as we speak). The scanner can receive an error and just skip a
complete layer. Therefore, you sometimes end up with two parts for the
price of one (due to a little delamination problem).
*Peer-to-Peer Networking - (Not a big deal) - They are using 2 network cards
on the 2500. The drivers were not loaded 100% error free and some of the NT
services don't run properly. Therefore, in our case, you can see other
computers on the network, but the network cannot see the Sinterstation
computer.

David K. Leigh ph (254) 933-1000
Harvest Technologies fax (254) 298-0125
Rapid Prototyping Services www.harvest-tech.com