Re: stl files needed

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric.sri.com)
Date: Fri Jul 09 1999 - 23:43:13 EEST

Dear Elaine,

One thing we all need to remember is that people are not alike in their
values and lifestyles and that is also true of the way people approach to
creation and consumption of products and services. Whenever I hear someone
say, People want X... I know that person has forgotten that not all people
do and most probably don't.

Even if you can get someone to say in a survey that they want to make
something personally, they don't do it. Attention K-Mart shoppers, in real
life, many people, if not most, don't want something different, they want it
the same, tested, reliable, acceptable to their social circle, and at the
lowest price/value ratio as they can get it. Many of the people who
actually want something totally new and different from anyone else are also not
interested in making things for themselves. Many of the people who want
things that are distinctive and self-expressive don't have the time (or are
not willing to take the time), but do have the money to pay someone else
to design and make it.

And the people who do have the interest and will take the time to make
things for themselves are not on the Internet; they are working on their
car, or working in their machine shop in the basement or garage, or whatever.
Once these people can see the advantages of using computers to make
things, and the cost comes down, you might see RP&M pick up speed.

If you are interested in learning more about how we separate consumers
into different psychological types, try http://future.sri.com and click on
the VALS(trademark) logo. Also, if you have a copy of the Personal Factory
paper I wrote for the MCB on-line conference a couple years back, you will
find a brief description there.

Sincerely yours,
Brock Hinzmann
Technology Navigator

cwho wrote:
>You wrote....................
>>to pop the marriage question with a RP prototype ring.
>>That way you get the caring part of actually having begun the design
>>without assuming that you know exactly what she would want for the rest
of
>her life....
>

>If she is the right person she knows the ring actually means little in a
>marriage proposal. Its the person and their intentions that are most
>important. If you design the ring to "save money" and you show 'stingy"
>traits everyday then expect a NO. If you do things everyday to show her
>she is special and the ring is just another sign then expect a YES.
>
>It's funny to watch the comments made to my questions. Some people think
>am too lazy to design my own stuff....some think I want to sponge off
>others, some think I want too much...some think I am a bore....