Re: spamming

From: William D. Richards (wdr@virtcon.com)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 01:42:37 EEST

About a week or so ago, an individual started a rant against people posting
"advertisements" on the RP-ML.

I have a strong suspicion that this individual may be trying to teach the
list a lesson by posting the RP-ML email address on various SPAM systems.
We may have to put up with this for a while until this individual's temper
tantrum runs its course.

He clearly missed a terribly important truth: If rapid prototyping is going
to grow beyond anything more than a laboratory curiosity, or at best a
gimmick, then we need to explore and promote the commercial applications of
rapid prototyping.

The vast majority of us on this list have hitched our wagons to this star,
this technology which is still, arguably, in its infancy. Many of us are in
direct business competition with one another. Many of us have worked long
and hard to come up with techniques and processes to make these RP machines
fulfill on their promise and help us make a living. I can't ask any of you
to disclose your hard won work for free.

The business discourse on the RP-ML is just as important as the technical
information -- and sometimes the two are the same. To try to build the RP
industry without considering the business side of it would be like building
a bridge without supports; you can only go so far before it collapses.

Sure, I find some of these long-winded ;) press releases annoying; I just
jump past them to the next letter. But without them, I wouldn't know when
there was a new material available for my process, or a cheaper way of
getting something done which means higher profit (more money in my pocket)
than what I would have gotten. The more money my company makes, then the
more likely I am going to keep my job and put food on the table.

I guess the saddest thing about all this is that the one individual who
should be reading this, won't. His loss. By the way, I have this sudden,
inexplicable urge to rave about... ...Keltool... ;)

Bill Richards
        /| Virtual Concepts Design ...Where the Virtual |
        | | Becomes REAL! |
        | | 696 Paine Rd. |
        | | North Attleborough, MA 02760 |
        | | Phone/Fax:(508) 695-0534 |