RE: Siggraph

From: Andrew Hally (ahally@sensable.com)
Date: Sat Jul 03 1999 - 02:11:31 EEST

Hi, Steve-

I'm Andrew Hally, FreeForm's product manager at SensAble Technologies.

To answer your question regarding FreeForm, it's a new product being
launched at Siggraph, so I doubt many on the list have had a chance to try
it yet. It's pretty neat stuff (of course, I might be biased!). The key is
that FreeForm lets you model using your sense of touch, which makes it much
more intuitive and expressive than CAD packages. Simply put, you can carve
"digital clay." The PHANTOM "arm" force-feedback lets you feel the
sculpting strokes and the model deforming as you work. A variety of digital
work aids let you mirror, copy/paste, work from the inside-out, smooth, etc.

We've had excellent initial success with partners/testers in the toy,
wearables, and animation industries, where people often need to create
models that are so detailed, organic, or expressive that only physical
modeling (clay/foam) was up to the task.

We'll have a class on using it in conjunction with RP technology to achieve
"3D desktop publishing." For info, see
http://www.siggraph.org/s99/conference/courses/course_14.html You can also
come by our booth or try it in Dr. Razdan's Studio (along with a bunch of
other cool things).

Feel free to email me for more info.

Hope to see you at Siggraph,
Andrew