Re: Rapid Prototyping of Glass Products

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 21:47:33 EEST

>>Does anyone know of any applications where RP models have been used
>>to mimic (or produce) glass prototypes e.g. car headlamps?

Here is my (biased ;-) input:
We have experiences in creating prototypes that resemble the final
glass product . We do so using CNC milling as RP process: in fact
the ability to use almost any material is a big advantage of this RP process.
Our examples are prototypes of several perfume bottles: they are milled
from two sides in transparant perspex, after that polished to high gloss,
and finished with cap and graphics. The result is superb.

'Our' bottle models were solid, so could not be filled. For your headlights
this might be sufficient, if not your would have to mill a thin perspex 'lens'
from two sides. The breaking index for light will be different for glass and
perspex, for most prototyping this will not be a problem.

Best regards,

Lex Lennings.

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling.

mailto:info@spline.nl --- website: http://www.deskproto.com