Size of Prototype Tooling Market

From: Terry T. Wohlers (twohlers@compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 05:04:39 EEST

I received several private messages in response to my question on the size
of the prototype tooling market. I define "prototype tooling" as all
molds, dies, and other devices used to create prototypes. This includes
conventional machined aluminum tooling. I sensed that some of you thought
that it was a rhetorical or trick question and that I know the answer. I
have a rough estimate based on a number of factors, but I would appreciate
hearing from anyone. I will gladly tally the responses and the post the
average. The question is this: What percentage of all tooling does
prototype tooling represent?

Terry

Terry Wohlers
Wohlers Associates, Inc.