something to think about...non RP

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 15:55:27 EEST

>THE CARPENTER
>
>An elderly carpenter was ready to retire. He told his employer contractor
>of his plans to leave the house building business and live a more leisurely
>life with his wife enjoying his extended family. He would miss the
>paycheck, but he needed to retire. They could get by.
>
>The contractor was sorry to see his good worker go and asked if he could
>build just one more house as a personal favor. The carpenter said yes, but
>in time it was easy to see that his heart was not in his work. He resorted
>to shoddy workmanship and used inferior materials. It was an unfortunate
>way to end his career.
>
>When the carpenter finished his work and the builder came to inspect the
>house, the contractor handed the front door key to the carpenter. This is
>your house, he said, my gift to you. What a shock. What a shame. If he
>had only known he was building his own house, he would have done it all so
>differently. Now he had to live in the home he had built none too well.
>
>So it is with us. We build our lives in a distracted way, reacting rather
>than acting, willing to put up less than the best. At important points we
>do not give the job our best effort. Then with a shock we look at the
>situation we have created and find that we are now living in the house we
>have built.
>
>If we had realized that we would have done it differently.
>
>Think of yourself as the carpenter. Think about your house. Each day you
>hammer a nail, place a board, or erect a wall. Build wisely. It is the
>only life you will ever build. Even if you live it for only one day more,
>that day deserves to be lived graciously and with dignity.
>
>The plaque on the wall says, "life is a do-it-yourself project". Who could
>say it more clearly? Your life today is the result of your attitudes and
>choices in the past. Your life tomorrow will be the result of your
>attitudes, and the choices you make today.
Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director
Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
http://rafiki.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html