strange phenomen

From: Steven Oorts (Steven.Oorts@mech.kuleuven.ac.be)
Date: Mon May 31 1999 - 13:29:06 EEST

Hi,

Last week I encountered a strange phenomen while sintering a nylon
part on our DTM sinterstation:

Some details were not fully sintered but only sintered at the border.
The part is sintered in glass filled nylon using only a hatching scan
(without outline). This phenomen only occured when the detail was
relatively small (ca.1mm) and was orientated perpendicular to the
scanning direction. I checked the stl-file and all the build and part
parameters but it all looks ok to me.

You can find a picture of this part on the net:
http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/~soorts/part.jpg

Has anyone else on the list ever seen a similar phenomen?

--
ir. Steven Oorts
research engineer SLS

K.U.Leuven - Division P.M.A. Celestijnenlaan 300B 3001 Heverlee, Belgium http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/pma/pma.html