Re: Space Puzzle Molding

From: Douglas A. VanPutte (vanputtd@frontiernet.net)
Date: Fri May 14 1999 - 00:29:43 EEST

Ron Ptaszek wrote:

"This sounds like a new name for an old methodology.....?"

Ron,

In a way you are correct. With Space Puzzle Molds(R), Protoform GmbH has
taken something old and turned it into something new. The SPM(R) molds are
made in sections, so that each mold may be taken apart regardless of the
complexity of the molded part. The mold sections are CDN machined and
fitted together in a fashion similar to the mold maker's practice prior to
the availability of EDM machining. The geometry in each mold section is
relatively easy to generate, mostly by CNC milling. It is a simple, but
powerful concept to build an accurate mold to produce complex and
production-like parts. However, the mold must be held together in the
molding press and that is the job of the patented mold holding device or
mold frame. It is the "new twist" to the old methodology.

The mold frame, mounted on the molding machine platens, captures the SPM(R)
mold rigidly and accurately after it is loaded by hand or by mechanical
assistance. After the molding cycle is complete, the mold frame quickly
releases the SPM(R) mold to be taken apart to uncover the molded part.
Space Puzzle Molding(R) goes beyond the use of universal mold bases and hand
loaded inserts which are used to eliminate side draws for prototype parts.
Besides the fact that the mold does not require water lines or ejector pins,
 each mold frame size replaces a series of universal mold bases since it can
be quickly changed to accept a series of mold sizes up to the maximum size
for that specific frame.

As I said before, I'm particularly please with the potential use of the
direct rapid tools like AIM, RapidTool, and ProMetal, or the secondary rapid
tools generated from rp patterns. I feel that SPM(R) will significantly
increase the complexity of the molded part which can be manufactured from a
rapid, low cost mold.

Best Regards,

-Doug

Douglas A. VanPutte