RE: 1999 to be a good year for RP and related technologies!

From: Caffrey, Tim (tcaffrey@pweh.com)
Date: Mon May 10 1999 - 17:46:08 EEST

I hate to rain on your parade, especially when this industry is looking for positive signs to hang its hat on. But I feel your posting needs a counterpoint of informed realism.

I worked at Boeing Commercial in Seattle, and helped to operate the Rapid Prototyping Center from late 1991 to mid 1996. (By 1996, the RPC housed seven of the eight RP systems in the entire company.) Beginning with Alan Johnson back in 1989, continued first by Long Phan and I, then by Mike Miller and Jeff Dark, the Boeing RPC has produced tens of thousands of prototype parts for internal customers of Boeing. During that time, the 777 was designed, developed, and built, and the RPC was instrumental in the 777's success. During that time, Boeing announced plans for a 36 month airplane program. But through all that, we never felt anyone in Boeing upper management was championing the rapid prototyping cause. The success of the RPC was entirely grass roots in nature, rarely rising above the design engineering group that recognized the virtue of prototyping and ordered the parts. The envangelism of RP was left to me and the RPC leads that preceded and followed me--no one else in man!
agement seemed to be in our cour

t.

There are some intrinsic problems with Very Large Companies. Something like RP is so new and different that it doesn't fit neatly into a defined technical discipline, and so it slips into the cracks between Computing, Design Engineering, and Manufacturing. Also, if an organization does come to recognize the power and potential of the new technology, they will tend to try to deploy the technology within their own empire, thus re-inventing the wheel, instead of using existing resources. Finally, there is too large of a chasm between the visionaries in upper management and the worker bees who are actually making the new technology happen, so that even if a champion exists, the bureaucratic filters and hurdles multiply with every middle management step downward. All of these Very Large Company characteristics have been at work at Boeing, and they have hurt the rapid prototyping cause. The frustration I experienced in trying to overcome them contributed to my departure.

I don't think things have changed appreciably in the recent past, at least at Boeing Commercial in Seattle. Perhaps, as you say, there is some directed, intentional plan for these technologies on the horizon at Boeing, and that would be great, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

P.S. Would you direct me to the article you are referencing? Thanks.

Tim Caffrey
Pratt & Whitney
275 E. Robinson
Springdale AR 72764