Re: Converting DXF to STL

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Wed Apr 28 1999 - 22:14:48 EEST

At Tuesday 27-04-99, J. Mitchell wrote:
>Does anyone know how to convert a *.dxf file to a *.stl file?? It is a
>scanned image of persons' face, but the *.dxf file is full of open
>triangles.

Hi J.

Converting from DXF to STL can be done using the free trial
version of our DeskProto software. This translation however does
only change the format: it does not fix the gaps, orphan surfaces,
incorrect normals etc (as DeskProto does not bother about such
formal errors).

In case you need a valid STL file you could then try to repair it
using for instance the Materialise magics software.
A better solution would be to contact the manufacturer of the scanner
and ask them to debug their software so that it can output valid
files.

Best Regards,

Lex Lennings.

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling.

mailto:info@spline.nl --- website: http://www.deskproto.com