First DLP HDTV announcement

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 28 1999 - 16:15:13 EEST

Could this DLP be used one day in RP? It is mirror based.....if you
remember TI's patent.

> Hitachi and Texas Instruments Announce Agreement To Jointly
>Develop HDTV
>
> April 27, 1999 11:01 AM EDT
>

> Digital Light Processing technology chosen as basis for new
>all-digital multimedia display
>

> TOKYO and DALLAS, April 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Hitachi, Ltd.
>(NYSE: HIT; Tokyo: 6501) and Texas Instruments (TI) announced today that
>they have signed an agreement under the terms of which Hitachi will use
>Digital Light Processing(TM) (DLP(TM)) technology to develop the world's
>first all- digital, large screen high definition (HD) rear projection
>television. Hitachi plans to release the new television in Japan and the
>U.S. market in the second half of 2000.
>
> The agreement also calls for TI to further develop DLP
>technology in support of HDTV applications with 16:9 aspect ratio, and for
>the two companies to collaborate in the development of new, higher
>brightness projection optics, HDTV signal receiving technology and an image
>processing LSI (Large Scale Integrated Circuit).
>
> The two companies will also consider extending future
>collaboration beyond the areas announced today.
>
> "We have been extremely impressed with the significant
>advances in DLP technology aimed at serving the Home Entertainment market,"
>said Masao Kato, Executive Vice President of Digital Media operations at
>Hitachi. "While DLP technology has served the data projection market with
>many leading products, recent breakthroughs - focused on improving video
>performance - have elevated DLP to a new level. It's this outstanding video
>performance that is required to satisfy the demands of Home Entertainment
>enthusiasts. This new project represents an exciting opportunity for Hitachi
>to bring innovative, premium performance products to the market: we're
>delighted to have signed this agreement with TI today."
>
> "Signing this agreement with Hitachi is an extremely
>exciting milestone in the development of DLP technology," said Bob England,
>Senior Vice President and Manager of TI's Digital Imaging division.
>"Hitachi's choice of DLP for this new High Definition product speaks volumes
>about not only how much the technology has progressed, but also its
>extraordinary potential for the future. We're excited that DLP technology
>will deliver the first-ever all- digital display to the home entertainment
>market."
>
> Demand for home theater systems is increasing worldwide:
>digital terrestrial broadcasting will begin this spring in ten major cities
>in the U.S, with satellite high definition broadcasting starting during the
>summer. In Japan, BS digital broadcasting will begin in 2000, bringing high
>resolution, high image quality movie programming to every home.
>
> "Texas Instruments demonstrated a prototype of this
>technology at CES in January and it was truly awe-inspiring," said David E.
>Mentley, Vice President of Stanford Resources, Inc. "It clearly has the
> [...]

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director
Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
http://rafiki.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html