Re: RP Mold Tooling and CNC/EDM Progress

From: Britt Ferrill (bferrill@nr.infi.net)
Date: Sun Apr 25 1999 - 02:54:15 EEST

Bob:

No flame! I could not agree with you more about the time advantages of quoting
and building molds from a 3D model (if it includes draft and parting line
locations as you stated). A few short years ago I was one of the "unbelievers"
and did not think that it was all that practical to go directly from model to
mold without creating 2D drawings of all the mold details. I was wrong. As you
point out the Autocad parts won't always go together, the Pro/E parts usually do.

Another recent mailing I completely agree with was from Todd Schuetts pointing
out how fast the newest CNC machines and CNC software is reducing the time to
make accurate hard tooling. Many customers in rapidly moving markets like laptop
computers and cellular phones need dozens or hundreds of accurate very thin wall
parts in the actual production material for shows, field trials, product testing,
limited production, etc. The usual RP processes don't work well here.

I think the RP future for these markets will be the desktop concept modeller
sitting next to the designer for instant feedback as the part is designed. This
will be followed by rapid hard tooling (mainly by CNC and EDM) for production
quantities within a few weeks.

Anything else, such as SLAs to make silicone molds for limited numbers of
simulated parts in materials that really are not the same as production will be
too slow for many markets. The various systems to make rapid molds (Keltool,
DTM, MIT, Sandia Labs, etc.) are probably not going to give the finish and
accuracy available from a good CNC/EDM approach. For major markets any extra
cost of throwing away a incorrectly designed prototype mold is more than offset
by the improvement in overall time to market.

A major focus in the future is going to be rapid testing. It frequently takes
longer to prove that a design works and meets its required specs than it takes to
design and build the testable parts! Fortunately the capability and usability of
non-linear FEA and mechanical simulation modelling is improving rapidly. The
first design has a much better chance of working to specification, which again
reduces the need for prototypes.

Regards,

Britt Ferrill
CommScope