Re: Fred Steinbauer, The passing of a dinosaur

From: James P. Harrison (harrjp@juno.com)
Date: Fri Apr 23 1999 - 17:41:30 EEST

I felt that I should add to this. Fred was my mentor and a very good
friend.
When this technology was coming into Pratt & Whitney, he took me under
his wing and taught me everything. He was always coming up with
something new, innovative and challenging. Fred was a smart, caring
man and a lot of fun to work with. He was always there for me and my
family and I will miss very him.

Jim

James P. Harrison Director Of Operations
3Dimensional Engineering www.3de.net; harrjp@juno.com
2991 N. Powerline Rd. Pompano Beach, FL. 33069
954-972-9906 (phone) 954-972-8903 (fax)

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 08:37:00 -0400 Elaine Hunt <ehunt@ces.clemson.edu>
writes:
>Rick Pressley wrote that Fred Steinbauer has passed away and will be
>buried
>tomorrow. While many of you on this list did not know him, as many of
>you
>knew Dick Aubin, I would like to tell you about Fred and his passion
>for
>this technology. He along with other beta SLA users helped found the
>NASUG
>to help drive this industry. While many traveled and spoke the vision
>for
>the technology, Fred often remained at Pratt Whitney and worked to
>find new
>methods, avenues, and directions for this technology. He firmly
>believed
>this technology has only scratched the surface of possibilities.
>Those who
>worked with him, who knew him, and loved him, was touched by the zeal
>with
>which he attacked not only life but also his attempts to make the RP
>technology a viable method of prototyping and manufacturing. While
>many of
>his visions will remain part of Pratt some will eventually enhance all
>RP
>technologies and will touch the entire user community.
>
>At the 1998 NASUG meeting in San Antonio Fred was recognized, along
>with
>other beta members, as a dinosaur and received a stuffed dinosaur from
>Steve Deak. Fred was thrilled and with his usual prickly tone said he
>was
>proud to be from an extinct group. Fred did indeed belong to a group
>of
>very few individuals who speak their minds, search for other paths,
>demand
>excellence, and push forward when others would rather lag behind or
>quit.
>To many he may appeared as a frail man with a big dream but to those
>if us
>who knew him, Fred Steinbauer was a giant of a man and a hell of a
>dinosaur. And like the dinosaurs of old, he can not be replaced.

>Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where
>prohibited.
>Elaine T. Hunt, Director
>Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial
>Prototyping
>206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
>864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
>elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
>http://rafiki.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]