RE: QuickCast in a hurry

From: graham.tromans@roverpte.demon.co.uk
Date: Fri Mar 26 1999 - 11:40:36 EET

Tom,
A lot of the problems on answering your question relates to the

complexity of the casting. I can give you a recent example although

this is not necessarily always the case.

We have just completed a very complex core model for a one off casting,

to produce the pattern in the traditional way, the core box and first

sand core would have cost in the region of £12k and would have taken

approximately 3 weeks to complete. Using our sand sintering machine

(EOS-S) we completed the sand core in 4 days at a cost of about £1k.

As I said earlier this is not always the case. One other thing that has

to be taken into account is that this process gives you the same

problems as Investment Casting, that being you only have one pattern,

so if you have any problems at the foundry you have to manufacture

another model, unlike having a core box made where you have a very

quick way of producing replica cores quickly and cheaply, unless you

have forseen a possible problem and built 2 models at the same time if

bed capacity allows. There is also a problem with out-gassing on

sintered cores, as long as the foundry is aware of this they should

have no problems in working with this process, but this has to be

thought about if you want to use this route effectively. I hope this

goes someway to answering your question.

Graham Tromans
Rover Group