Re: Electroplating SLA parts

From: Gabe Clark (gabe.clark@sdaa.com)
Date: Tue Mar 23 1999 - 20:54:27 EET

Mr. Bernardo,
        This is a list that I have compiled over quite some time. Some of this
information might even be outdated, but it will give you many options to start
with. Hopefully it will get you a good list to compare prices as well. Let me
know what you find out.

Thanks,
Gabe

We have had considerable success in coating SLA, FDM and LOM parts with
aluminum. We send our parts to:

Perfection Finishers, Inc.
1151 N. Ottokee St.
Wauseon, Ohio 43567
Tel.: (419)337-8015
Fax.: (419)335-2943

Good luck.
Darius

Darius Daruwala
Milwaukee School of Engineering
Rapid Prototyping Center
1025 N. Broadway
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Tel. (414)277-7189
Fax (414)277-7470
daruwala@msoe.edu

Caught your memo on rpmail. We do plate SLA parts all the time. This
is not a vapor deposition process, but actual electroplating in a dip
tank. Results are excellent. We have done chrome, brass and gold. The
undercoating for these is copper and nickel, so either of those could
be the final material. Are you looking for someone to do this for
you, or information on the subject?

Call or Email

Tom Husting
920 467 9944
protoinfo@advproto.com

Thank you

We have had a perfect success record plating SLA parts--chrome or gold with
Associated Electroplaters, Al Bacon, 248-547-5520.

*********HERE IS SOMEONE RECOMMENDING THIS GUY********************************

--This firm does a fine job with plating our SLA parts:

Al Bacon
Associated Electroplaters
1490 E. 9 Mile Rd.
Hazel Park, MI 48030
Ph: 248-547-5520

Bruce Okkema
Eagle Design & Technology, Inc. Ph: 616-748-1022
2437 84th Ave Fx: 616-748-1032
Zeeland, MI 49464 E-mail: bruceo@eagledesign.com
USA Web: www.eagledesign.com

We at IPA use Physical Vapour Deposition (PVD) and Electrochemical
Deposition for coating Rapid Prototyping Parts. We coat parts with
copper, chrom, nickel, aluminia, silver, gold. As RP-parts we use
SLA-parts, LOM-parts

For further information please contact

Fraunhofer IPA
Patrick Markschlaeger
Nobelstrasse 12
D-70569 Stuttgart
Tel.: +49(0)711/970-1209
Fax: +49(0)711/970-1004
email: pkm@ipa.fhg.de
Kai Uwe Koch

If you're not going for looks but rather for EMI/conductive,
YDK America 770-479-1001 (maybe a new area code?)in Atlanta. They are a
production electroless copper nickel (dull gray color) but will do
protos. They have plated some of our Stratasys ABS EMI shield parts.

I will look for a an old email regarding other folks for chrome, etc.

Sean Ryan
Ericsson Inc. - Cellular Phone R & D

We have chrome plated our SL parts using both vapor deposition and
electroplating.

Drew Brown
Conceptual Reality L.L.C.
From: Drew Brown <conreality@greatid.com>

We do LTAVD (low temperature arc vapor deposition) on just about any
material from SLA to A2. We can apply copper, nickel, chrome & zirconium from
2,000 angstroms up to about 3 microns in thickness.
As well as EMI/RFI shielding requirements, we are having great success coating
SLA AIM molds - zirconium nitrate offers a 85C Rockwell hardness rating.
See our home page for more details - rapidpro.com.
Thanks
Rod Ward
President
Rapid Prototyping Corp.
970-535-0550
FAX 970-535-0552

--
Rod Ward

***************THIS WAS ANOTHER E-MAIL I RECIEVED AT A DIFFERENT TIME FROM ROD THAT I THOUGHT WAS INTERESTING************************************************

We have a proprietary coating process that enables us to coat virtually any substrate with any metal or ceramic. Currently we have copper, nickel, chrome zirconium and titanium. We will soon be adding gold.

Procees works like this: large water jacketed vacuum chamber with horizontal & vertical rotation capability. Gun bored target (i.e. substrate) to allow cooling thru center. 3 arc welders - 2 for oscillating arc top to bottom - 1 for containment of arc. Parts are hung or set around inside of chamber, arc is initiated and vaporizes substrate. Vaporous molecules migrate balistically from center outward coating anything in line of sight. Typical thickness is from 2,000 angstroms to 3 microns. Because of the balistic nature, the surface is penetrated, coating is not just topical. Also because the coating is so thin, dimensional stability is not sacrificed. We've coated everthing from toilet paper to A2 SS. We have samples of copper/nickel SLA parts free for the asking.

Rod Ward President/Design Engineer Rapid Prototyping Corp. 14478 I25 Frontage Rd. Longmont, Co. 80504 970-535-0550 FAX 970-535-0552

-- Rod Ward

Our company makes injection and compression molds by electroforming nickel over SLA patterns. Check out our Website at www.cemcom.com. From: kevan_jones@cemcom.com <kevan_jones@cemcom.com>

Take a look at our web site Mike

-- Michael Wilson, Project Manager RMM, Polycarbonate Parts in "ACES build" mold Aurora Search Inc. (Canada) 100 discovery Place One 3553 - 31st ., N.W. Calgary, Alberta T2L 2K7 Email: art2part@unixg.ubc.ca Web:http://www.interchg.ubc.ca/art2part fax:604-608-2943

We have had LOM parts with Chrome, copper, gold & silver. We have never tried SLA parts. Sorry.

-- David Tolin 201 W. Beach Ave. Inglewood, CA 90302 Phone - 310-671-4345 Fax - 310-671-0858 BBS - 310-671-1862 Email - david@pmli.com

We have experience of plating SLA by electroless + electrolytic plating. However we have seen far better results through PVD techniques (the Multiarc process in particular). Let me know if you would like details of service providers (UK only I'm afraid).

Matt

********************** ******************** Dr Matt Murphy Practice Leader - Rapid Manufacturing Pera Group, Nottingham Road, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, LE13 0PB, UK

Tel: 44 (0) 1664 501 501 Fax: 44 (0) 1664 501 589 email: matt_murphy@peragroup.com

We have don this successfully for testing electromagnetic shielding effect on satellite phones. Material used was Aluminum and the vacuum vapor process was employed. Be sure that the surface is absolutely clean from grease and silicone deposits if you want the Alu to stay on. From: Rolf-Erik Martinsen <rem@nera.no>

My company, Mound Laser and Photonics Center, is using pulsed laser deposition (PLD) to grow thin film coatings on various substrates. For example, we have grown a Nickel-200 film on SL parts and have also deposited Nickel-200 on other types of substrates from ceramic to paper. The film thickness is typically 0.5 to 1.0 micron. Diamond like carbon (DLC) coatings can be grown by this technique and other hard materials such as SiC can also be deposited. If you can provide me with additional information on the size of the tool and its application, we may able to provide an appropriate coating.

Larry R. Dosser (937) 865-4481 voice (937) 865-3680 fax dosserlr@mlpc.com e-mail

-- Gabriel S. Clark PH. (801)328-8220 Rapid Prototype Manager FAX (801)328-8619 Solid Design & Analysis gabe.clark@sdaa.com 165 Wright Brothers Drive www.sdaa.com Salt Lake City, UT 84116