Re: Medical scans to STL

From: Andy Christensen (andy@medicalmodeling.com)
Date: Mon Mar 22 1999 - 23:29:36 EET

Chris and Gary:

Just to throw 2 cents in here. Geomagic may be good for reverse engineering
projects and digitized data from laser scanning, cmm, etc., BUT CT scan data
is much different than these other "point cloud" type data formats. CT scans
do not produce point cloud data. They produce 2D grayscale slices that
contain data in image format for different densities. In order to get a 3D
object one must extract the pertinent data from each slice, stack the slices
and then interpolate between slices.

To convert serial section data from CT or MRI to STL you should look at
Materialise (http://www.materialise.com) and Image3 (http://www.image3.com).
These are the two most widely used packages for doing this type of work. We
utilize the Materialise package and can answer questions from a users point of
view if needed.

Hope this helps.

Andy

--
Andy Christensen

Medical Modeling Corporation 17301 W. Colfax Ave., Ste. 300 Golden, CO 80401 USA 303/273-5344 303/277-9472 fax