Re: SS420 tool PR on RP list

From: Tom Richards (tomr@aicasting.com)
Date: Mon Mar 22 1999 - 20:05:02 EET

John: My comments are preceeded by %%%%%%%%%%%%%%

At 08:25 PM 3/16/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Tom --
>I know from your various postings to RP-ML that you are involved with
investment cast tools for injection molding. Also from Sanders web I note
your company is listed as a service bureau for Sanders. I have a question
which really seems to relate to both --

>On 3/8, Elaine Hunt of Clemson University posted to RP-list an illustration
of a digital phone unit apparently made of sintered Stainless 420
infiltrated with Bronze. The photo had some caption info which sounded too
good to be true. Specifically "accurate to 0.001", 38 Rc, 1m life in
molding plastic, ok for diecast, produced in 1 week". Contact name was a
Rolf Hurbert at Sanders-Prototype.

>A couple of days later Elaine posted a note that tool source was New Design
Models in NY state -- but no comments as to the process or claims, etc.

>Since this process is apparently getting touted by Sanders, are the claims
legitimate?? Does the process involve conventional sintering &
infiltration?? And if so, do you have any clues as to how they can claim the
0.001" accuracy level?? If this stuff is conventionally sintered it would
seem that it might be infringing on the old 3M patents (Keltool) some of
which still have a few years before running out. Do you feel the process is
suitable for actual plastic injection tooling or is it a dream??

%%%%%%%%%%%%%5 My interest lies in another direction. I've been investment
casting the mold parts for plastics injection molders.

Since you have been involved with investment casting for tools, do you know
of any respective strengths or weakness details?? If this process is so
good, why hasn't it gotten any discussion on RP group -- particularly after
the posting by Elaine. etc, and how might you see it impacting work by your
company and others pursuing investment casting for volume production plastic
injection tooling?? etc, etc. I'd appreciate any thoughts or insights
direct to me at jes@ro.com