RP for production casting in metal

From: Mr B C May (esqkk@csv.warwick.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 14:50:31 EET

My collegues and myself at the Rapid Prototyping and Tooling Centre at
Warwick University are undertaking an analysis of the various applications
of RP technology for the low volume production casting of metal components.

To this end we would like to hear from anyone who has experience casting
from -

        SL Quickcast II
        Trueform I and Castform
        Actua
        Sanders
        Z Corp
        FDM

Our primary concerns are with -

        Accuracy
        Surface finish
        Casting integrity (ie: ash content and repeatability)
        Requirements for pre-processing before casting

Ideally we would like to use the standard investment process and so would
also appreciate advice as to whether it is feasible to use the same shell
thickness and de-wax (autoclave) cycle.

We would appreciate either personal experience or directions to other
sources of information relating to this topic.Please send all
correspondence to -

Ben May
EBM MSC
International Manufacturing Centre
Warwick Manufacturing Group
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL
UK
Email: B.C.May@warwick.ac.uk

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.