Re: The scoop? SLA-500 heat exchangers

From: ERIC KING (lzrdude@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Mar 12 1999 - 21:42:12 EET

DANIEL CHARLES DAVIS wrote:

> All,
>
> OK, I have dug further into this and what Eric is saying is true, to a
> point. It seems that 3D buys LaserPure 20 and upgrades them to an
> "LP40" at their manufacturing site. I was told (by 3D) that it is only
> a valve change (no specifics indicated) and the unit shipped with the
> SLA500 retains the "LaserPure 20" identification. There was no mention
> of a heat exchanger upgrade (indeed our units, installed 7/97, have
> model CB26-50H exchangers). The reason stated was that this method is
> less costly than buying the LaserPure 40 outright.
>
> What does this mean? I'm not sure, but Coherent's documentation specs
> an LP40, which is significantly different in terms of flow rates &
> cooling capacity, which points to a larger heat exchanger in the LP40,
> not just a valve. The chart below shows only the specs that differ
> between the two:
>
> LP 20 LP 40
> - Cooling capacity at maximum
> plant side flow rate 20 kW 40 kW
>
> - Temperature delta at maximum
> plant side flow rate 4°C 5°C
> (39°F) (41°F)
>
> - Plant water flow range 2-8 gpm 2.5-10 gpm
> (7.5-30 lpm) (9.5-38 lpm)
>
> - Laser side flow (nominal) 2-3 gpm 5-7 gpm
> (7.5-11 lpm) (19-26.5 lpm)
>
> - Laser side flow (maximum) 5 gpm 15 gpm
> (19 lpm) (57 lpm)
> Terms used in this table:
> Delta: The difference in water temperature between the
> laser cooling loop
> and the plant water source.
> Plant side: The side of the heat exchanger cooled by the
> flow through water source.
> Laser side: The closed water loop that cools the laser
>
> Interesting to me as we have been having condensation problems inside
> the laser power supply. This is because the plant-water chillers have
> been set at a low temperature to keep the lasers cool. We have been
> told be 3D to increase both the temperature & flow of the plant water to
> correct this problem. OK, no problem. The recommended flow rate is
> 35-40 litres/hour. If we do have the LP20 this cannot happen, as flow
> is limited to 30 lpm max. Hmmm, problem. Also, if the LP40 heat
> exchanger is larger, then maybe we can increase our plant water
> temperature, still cool the laser, and things will be OK.
>
> Should we install the LP40 heat exchangers (model CB26-90H)? We'll just
> have to wait & see...
>
> ---
> Regards,
> Dan Davis
> PROTON Rapid Prototyping & Manufacturing Center
> Hicom Industrial Estate, Batu Tiga, PO Box 7100
> Shah Alam, 40918 Selangor MALAYSIA
> +60 3 515-2380 phone/fax
> http://www.protoncar.com/rapid.htm

Daniel,

Thank you again for attention in this matter.

It's a shame that 3D would rather save a whopping ~600.00/each, by
purchasing the wrong LP-20, and trying to "upgrade" it to a 40. Then
to buy the correct piece of equipment for their customers.

Best regards,

Eric King

And a fitting quotation from a great friend of mine.

Jon Cooper "No man knows what price he pays
                                 for substandard parts and slipshod
Ventura, CA service until fate adds the cost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ of tragedy to his bill"