Very Small Parts

From: Wayne L Foss (wlfoss@crnotes.collins.rockwell.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 1999 - 18:37:13 EET

The response that I received for my inquiry on production of very small
detailed parts was quite beneficial. I have taken brief comments from them
along with the pertinent addresses and names and included them below.

Wayne

 I WROTE:

I have a potential need for a source that can produce small, highly
detailed parts to the specifications that follow. The part will be used for
isolating and mounting IC chips in a test fixture. Dimensions are in
inches.

The part will have .007 thick fins that are .100 high and .050 wide. They
may be attached to a solid structure at one end (along the .100) and/or the
bottom (along the .050). There is a space between fins of .010 which makes
the pitch .017. This part will fit over (or under) the IC and the fins will
fit in between the "waterfall" of the leads. There are 60 leads per side
for a total of 240. The material must be strong, withstand a temperature of
125 degrees C and must be electrically non-conductive.

I do not have drawings yet. We will consider any process.

I do know of Pure Fluid Magic, but Ms. Iverson, in my last conversation
with her, indicated that she was not taking on any outside projects.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wayne Foss
Rockwell Collins, Inc.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

 Sigma TCT
 jimk@sigmatct.com
 www.sigmatct.com
 ...small highly detailed patterns that can be used for investment casting.
 We can produce features on our patterns down to .004(inch). The final
 material would be an A356 aluminum.

 microTEC in Germany
 info@microTEC-D.com
 www.microTEC-D.com
 (This company produces microscopic parts.)

 Proform
 www.proform.ch
 proform@proform.ch
 Switzerland
 ...small spot technology using a dual laser configuration. (This company
 produces microscopic parts.)

 3D Systems Technology Center
 Stu Egli
 805-295-5600 x2245
 The 3D Systems Technology Center has a SLA250/HR which is used for
 applications such as yours. We are able to build parts using .0025"
 layers. The laser spot diameter is .003"-.004".

 AAROFLEX, Inc.
 Albert C. Young, Jr., P.E. CEO
 A new resin which has been in testing for some times is now available in
 the US market. It is RPC 300 AR with a 120 C (DMA Peak E"). The RPC 300
 AR has high temperature resistance and good mechanical properties, and is
 useful for high temperature testing and rapid tooling. (This company is a
 SLA materials supplier and service bureau (?))

 Britt Ferrill
 (RP-ml subscriber)
 If you only need a few parts then consider CNC machining the part from a
 solid block of plastic. ...This may be the place for an "old fashioned"
 injection mold. The final cost, especially if you might need to try
 several materials, will probably be less than SLA. ...I have explored the
 laser and water jet approaches recently. The minimum kerf will be about
 0.015" to 0.020" wide.

 Conceptual Engineering, LLC, formerly Entec RPD
 Larry Carlburg
 www.art2part.com.
 ...injection molded parts for prototypes using Ultem 1000...

 Norma Jean Iverson President
 Pure Fluid Magic, Inc.
 (408)748-1222
 As far as these thin wall sections, we have been doing this for the last 3
 years, and have various patents on the making and use for the electronic
 industry. I don't think with the resin that we are using that the
 tempurature will be a problem, as one of our products is
 a surface mount emulator adaptor which has .006 wide fins and is mated
 with a gold pin, and this material did withstand a 500 degree F oven for 1
 hour. These results are however
 geometry dependant.