Re: Very small details

From: Britt Ferrill (bferrill@nr.infi.net)
Date: Wed Mar 03 1999 - 15:03:17 EET

Wayne Foss was looking for a source for a small highly detailed part with 7 mil
wall thickness and capable of working in a 125 degree C environment.

This may be the place for an "old fashioned" injection mold. Probably shoot the
part in LCP plastic because of the thin walls. Depending on the actual shape of
the part, you may be able to wireEDM burn the 7 mil mold cavities which will mold
the 7 mil part walls. Or you may need to build the mold up from laminates.

Even for a few dozen parts I think that this method will be more successful than
the various RP methods because of the thin walls, heat requirements and strength
and toughness required in the final part. Talk to your mold toolmaker about how
cheap and fast he can do a quick prototype mold. You may be surprised at his
answer.

If you only need a few parts then consider CNC machining the part from a solid
block of plastic if the design lends itself to that approach..

Britt Ferrill
bferrill@nr.infi.net