Historical note on StL format

From: Marshall Burns (Marshall@Ennex.com)
Date: Tue Mar 02 1999 - 14:06:24 EET

Hello RP World,

    We have received a comment on the StL documentation on our Web site
which may be interesting for others.

>When I visited your homepage at http://www.ennex.com/fabbers/StL.htm I
>noticed that you translate the STL file format as StereoLithography.
>This is highly unusual, because STL is used in a much bigger area than
>just stereolithography.
>The STL format can be translated in many ways like 'Standard Triangle
>Language' and 'Surface Triangulation Language', but the most commonly
>used (and for me the best suitable) translation is:
>Structual Triangulation Language

    Those alternatives are interesting coincidences, and you may certainly
think of StL in any way that is helpful for you. However, the fact is that
the data format was created by a consultant in Silicon Valley under contract
to 3D Systems in the 1980s and the designation "StL" was intended to stand
for StereoLithography.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns

Marshall Burns, President
Ennex(TM) Corporation
Fabbing the Future(TM)
10911 Weyburn Avenue, Suite 332, Los Angeles, U.S.A. 90024
Phone: +1 (310) 824-8700. Fax: +1 (310) 824-5185
E-mail: fabbers@Ennex.com. Web site: http://www.Ennex.com
***** Copyright (c) 1998, Ennex Corporation