Re: Cost justification of RP

From: Brad Fox (rdt@visi.com)
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 19:31:55 EET

Rice:
Justification is a great topic for this list. It's very important to examine
each aspect of a company's product development process - RP will affect most
all of these areas.

My business partner (Jim Firnstahl) at Rapid Design comes not from the RP
industry, but from corporate finance. He and I wrote a paper that was
published in Prototyping Technology International (December) on this topic.

Additionally, we have set up a web site that anyone can go to, answer a
series of questions, and we crunch an analysis for them. The site is:
www.goactua.com. I'd be interested in your feedback.

Regards,

Brad Fox
Rapid Design Technologies

At 06:35 PM 2/18/99 -0700, you wrote:
>RP'ers:
>
>I have no doubt that this topic has been discussed in great detail in the
past, but If I were considering the purchase of an RP machine, what specific
measurements — beyond general benefits such as improved time to market and
increased innovative designs and understanding that every company has unique
requirements and uses of RP — are suggested to determine whether RP is a
reasonable cost for a company to incur? For example, Cubital said some time
ago that a company that produces 200 to 300 models per year could probably
justify the cost of an industrial RP machine. Any references to white papers
and presentations on the topic of justifying the cost of RP would be greatly
appreciated in addition to your own thoughts