Re: Mathematics Software and stl files

From: Marshall Burns (Marshall@Ennex.com)
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 16:30:17 EET

> I'm looking for a way to convert mathematical equations to an .stl file.
> Does anyone know if there is a package (or way) for me to convert a
> "Mathematica" file to .stl output?
> Jonathan Chertok
> Austin, Texas

Jonathan,

    On this subject, I would hunt down Stewart Dickson. He used Mathematica
to make SLA sculptures back in the early 90s. He wrote a routine that gave
thickness to algebraic structures created in Mathematica and generated StL.
After moving to the East Coast for a period, I believe he is back in LA at
Walt Disney Imagineering. He used to have a great Web site on much of his
work. (His sculptures are also featured in my book, under artistic
applications of fabbers.) Do a search for him on the Web, and if that
doesn't turn him up, I'll take a look and see if I have his number at
Disney.

    Good luck on your research. Are you at my alma mater, UT Austin?

Marshall Burns

Marshall Burns, President
Ennex(TM) Corporation
Fabbing the Future(TM)
10911 Weyburn Avenue, Suite 332, Los Angeles, U.S.A. 90024
Phone: +1 (310) 824-8700. Fax: +1 (310) 824-5185
E-mail: fabbers@Ennex.com. Web site: http://www.Ennex.com
***** Copyright (c) 1998, Ennex Corporation