Newbie's opening volley.

From: Paul Burr (tigerpb@ids.net)
Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 04:21:35 EET

Greetings fellow listers! As a first timer to this list I'm looking
forward to the insights of this group.
I'm currrently designing costume jewelry using JewelCad (any other users
out there?) and building the parts on a Sanders MM2. I've also have used
the Sanders MM6 Pro previously.
Anyway my employer, Giovanni Jewelry (100 Nashua St, Providence, RI ) is
looking to expand our capabilities with 3D scanning. This is a new area
for us, and we'll need all the advice I can gather.
I'd like to retain JewelCad as our design front end, at least for the time
being. It is capable if importing only igs files that are spline surface
iges.
So, my question is two fold: How does one tell the difference between
spline and non spline iges files?
and, are there any file translation packages that can tweek scanner output
into the "flavor" that I need?