FW: Digital Camera Recommendations?

From: Denton, Karl R. KD1588 (KDenton@williams-int.com)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 18:55:00 EET

Hello all,

Glenn - after having two different digital cameras over the past couple
of years for use in a professional setting I can tell you the following:

1) Purchase one based on being "Mega-Pixel" this means that your
resolution will be at a minimum of 1280x1024.

2) Don't be afraid of the "special" download software! It's not as bad
as you think, most of the cameras come with some sort of a memory card
and that card can fit into an adapter that fits into your floppy drive.
 I use the Fuji MX700 and have had no trouble with reading the device as
it uses the Windows Explorer as if it's a floppy.

3) Although I thoroughly enjoy and use my MX700 (logged well over 3500
images in less then a year!) I would recommend the Kodak DC 260 ( Around
$800 in the Detroit area) as it uses optical zoom as opposed to digital.
 This is extremely important because your image will be drastically
degraded (become pixelated) if you do use the digital zoom.

4) If this camera is going to be used for business then DON'T TAKE THE
CHEAP ROUTE! you will be disappointed trust me!

5) One more point...All of these cameras use the JPEG standard to save
images. If the Sony is using a 1.44 meg floppy then they are saving the
files using setting that compress the daylights out of your photos, once
you compress a file using JPEG some data is lost and never recoverable.
 This is why there are many level of settings when working with JPEG.
 When using a program like Adobe Photoshop ( I also highly recommend the
use of this program) you are given a choice as to the level of
compression, more compression=smallers files=more lost data=poor picture
quality!

I hope this helps!

Karl