RE: CNC High Speed Machining as Alternative of Rapid Tooling

From: Lytle, Tom (tlytle@carbomedics.com)
Date: Fri Jan 15 1999 - 19:11:09 EET

I agree with both of you. Our company is under incredible pressure to get
products out the door faster and cheaper. I have conducted extensive
research into the capabilities of the current RP tooling systems as well as
rapid machining technologies. We have yet to find a good fit for our needs.
We typically only need a few hundred parts, but our materials (polysulfone,
polyetherimide, polyphenylsulfone) and tolerances +/- .005 or tighter
eliminate most of the RP tooling methods. I am currently working with Terry
Wholers to select an RP based method that will work for one of our less
complex projects. Our two forays into the rapid machining areas have not
been terribly successful. In fact one of the projects was a complete
disaster. In my opinion, the selection of the RP tooling process is driven
by 1) part materials needed, 2) part functionality, 3) part design
complexity and tolerancing. If you don't do your homework up front and
match the process to the part and material the RP method may not work.
After one or two failures, management will be gun shy and won't try it
again. Overall I am optimistic about the quick improvement in the RP
tooling technologies. There are some very promising methods that are just
around the corner. It they perform as advertised, they will give standard
tooling a good bit of competition in some areas.

Tom Lytle
Senior Design Engineer
Sulzer Carbomedics
Austin, Texas