Re: CNC High Speed Machining as Alternative of Rapid Tooling

From: PnRMolds@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 14 1999 - 20:00:48 EET

I am in agreement with Mr. Chang-Shik,Min.

His statements pretty much coincide with what we have been saying (and
delivering on) for a while....

People do not always seem to be aware of opportunities and solutions that are
already available. Often it's the "just another suppplier" scenario and hey,
I get the calls too so I know how it is but for those that take advantage...
What is the value of capturing market share with a production quality product
weeks earlier? How about even one day?

This may be a bit graphic but I am often reminded of a cartoon comic I once
saw depicting General George Armstrong Custer (from American history, an
American military officer whose command was mostly wiped out in the Battle of
Little Big Horn - more info on this here-> http://www.garryowen.com/topics.htm
) readying to leave his encampment on the way to battle. A saleman was
attempting to get the General's attention to present a great product but was
rebuffed. The next frame shows the salesman returning with his lot of unsold
machine guns.

Pardon me for tooting my own horn but we turn tools around in about half the
<realistic> time utilizing high speed CNC machining.

This is half of real lead times as well, not some of the bloated ones so often
seen in the magazine articles.

For example - > I have a 4 cavity production mold (20" x 20") in build right
now with a 4 week delivery from receipt of data. Complete standard frame,
hardened tool steel cavity and core inserts. Tool life? millions. Part
quality? The highest.

www.InjectionMolds.com

Not to knock the RP technologies, though, we all have our place.

Regards,

Ron Ptaszek

P&R Precision, Inc.
50495 Corporate Drive
Shelby Township, MI 48315

http://www.InjectionMolds.Com

TEL: 810-254-6720
FAX: 810-254-0638

ron@injectionmolds.com

Prototype and Production Injection Molds direct from your Pro
or other Database with fast, reliable deliveries backed by a
over a decade of CAD/CAM and 40+ Years Tooling Experience

In a message dated 12/22/98 3:51:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,