need help with rapid tooling

From: Peter Martin (proj_omega@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 29 1998 - 06:44:45 EET

dear rp-ml'rs,
           season's greetings and happy new year to everybody. i'm an
engineering student in india and i have a small problem regarding Rapid
Tolling.
                                 i have been asked to standardize a
method to produce press tools using RP/RT techniques. so far, the tools
were produce by generative machining of a graphite electrode, which was
then utilized for EDM machining of the punch and die set.
i'm trying to further reduce the lead time by using RP/RT. a Stratasys
FDM 2000 is available to me. what would be the best method of tolling?
the considerations are tool-life of the electrode,the surface quality of
the part and obviously the accuracy of the final part.
Can anyone suggest any solutions? cost-effective ones would be lovely!
we are on a most miserly, Scrooge-like budget.

Peter Martin
Anna University, Chennai
South India
AU-FRG Center For Cad/Cam