cad program that breeds design

From: Andrzejewski, Jan (jan.rp@pera.com)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 14:21:39 EET

michael rees SCULPTOR wrote:

>This is what I want from CAD. I can breed multiple objects and object
>parameters--electrical, chemical, mechanical, functional, cultural,
>aesthetic and I can tell the program to give me 500 generations of the
>breeding of these objects. I can review all of these permutations until
>I decide which fits my purposes best. I can control the parameters of
>the objects to focus on different aspects--more or less aesthetic, more
>or less functional... I would also have the ability 1. to design from
>the ground up, 2. seamlessly import 3d data with severe convolutions and
>undercuts, 3. be able to design a full range of features that are
>electrical, chemical, etc.,. Sounds wacky huh? A cad program that breeds
>design.

michael and others interested in Sculptural Art

You may what to view the works of William Latham and in 1984 he put pen to
paper and created an evolutionary tree of forms that elegantly shows the
ideas of sculptural transformations.
These became the set of rules applied to a CAD package at IBM UK that took
standard geometric primitives (cone, cube, sphere, cylinder and torus ) and
were modified mathematically by bulge, scoop, union, twist, stretch etc and
with several repetitions and in different geometric sequences very complex
models evolved. The branches of the forms were grouped into families such as
"Architectural", "Organic", "Medieval Gothic" and "Celtic"

His work fully took of when in 1987 the IBM UK Scientific Centre awarded
William Latham a Research Fellowship and using the unique solid modeller
WISDOM and an interactive graphics language ESME.

Examples of his work can be seen in an Exhibition tour booklet called
"The Conquest of Form" computer art by William Latham also
IBM systems Journal Vol 28 No 4, 1989 W H Latham and S J P Tood.
The Monthly Journal of Science, KAGAKU ASAHI April 1989 page 5 and 71 to
73.
New Scientist 27 January 1990 No 1701 pages 40, 41, 44 and 45 ISSN 0262
4079

Jan Andrzejewski