Re: CNC High Speed Machining as an Alternative of Rapid Tooling

From: Fusioneng@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 07:06:41 EET

<< Re: CNC High Speed Machining as an Alternative of Rapid Tooling >>

My company uses several technologies in combination to build moulds. Not just
prototype tools but production tools as well. We may use the latest high
speed CNC equipment to cut the cavity, then use 3D Keltool to build some small
inserts or side cores which are very detailed and would otherwise require many
electrodes to produce. The pockets for the inserts may be wire EDM cut. I
wouldn't hesitate to make the whole inside of a larger part (the core side of
the tool) using DTM Rapidtool 2. Or some delicate lifters with electroplated
nickel process. The point I'm trying to make is that all these technologies
are commercially available and easily attained without having to become an
expert yourself. What we do is try to fit the correct technology with the task
at hand. We use rapid tooling techniques ( 3D Keltool inserts, etc ) even on
half million dollar production molds. Maybe to achieve better (conformal)
cooling on a side core ,or to cut a couple weeks off the delivery of the mold,
or sometimes just to relieve the moldmaker of having to deal with a complex
area of the mold so he can concentrate his effort on another part of the mold
in parallel.
Bob Morton
Fusion Engineering
Fusioneng@aol.com