Re: a summary of Future of RP Comments

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric.sri.com)
Date: Thu Dec 17 1998 - 04:34:10 EET

We joke about how market research for software companies consists of
rolling over in bed and saying, Honey, what do you think? And I totally agree
that the reason we have the office software we have today is because it is
purchased by people who don't have to use it--at least not in the same
way I have to use it. I sure wouldn't be using Microsoft Word if I didn't
have to (although, is that Microsoft's fault, or my company's fault, or my
fault for caving in?). However, the last time I did any programming, it was
on punch cards in Fortran, so I'm not the best person to comment on the
difficulties of doing it today.

Besides, it's not clear to me, especially in relation to 3-D CAD for RP,
that it's all in the software. I have heard designers complain about the
lack of natural computer interface hardware, which would allow them to
replicate the expression of the human needs they are trying to create. They
say drawing with a mouse is like drawing with a brick. I know this is
partially SRI's fault, for having invented the mouse. But then, the mouse was
invented as an x-y pointing device for text, not a CAD drawing device, let
alone a 3-D ergonomic interpretation device. Still, the goal was augmented
human intellect, and we still haven't got there.

Brock Hinzmann
Technology Navigator
SRI International

Monica & Glenn Whiteside wrote:
>Brock, you wrote:
>
>"If CAD software is difficult to use, perhaps you need different people
>designing it."
>
>Amen to that, I've been saying this for years, Catia for example is very
>powerful but not always user-friendly with some of its functions.
Instead
>of being "user-vicious" CAD software needs to become much more intuitive
>(and this doesn't necessarily mean more undecipherable little icons and
>message boxes!!!), sort of like assembling a Lego model or an Erector
set
>model only in a virtual 3D space. Of course what might be "intuitive"
for
>one person could be mass confusion for another and this is the crux of
the
>problem: How do you design software that can be easily used by a
majority of
>users? By utilizing plenty of user feedback from many different
industries,
>not just one, and by making the software easily customizable for
individual
>user preferences. One major problem (in my opinion) is that the larger
>software companies like Dassault do not listen closely enough to the
REAL
>users of the software. They listen to MIS managers and employees but
these
>are NOT the daily users of the software that have to live with the
>inadequate interfaces and functions day after day. Catia is real famous
for
>its error and "abend" messages which usually give the user no real clue
what
>the actual problem is (and the "help" file is absolutely worthless).
The

<rp-ml@ltk.hut.fi>;