Re[2]: a summary of Future of RP Comments

From: lblasch@opw-fc.com
Date: Wed Dec 16 1998 - 16:58:36 EET

     Brock,

     You said:

>Further to John's point about the usability of CAD software, consider this
>comment I heard the other day: Why is computer game software so much
>better designed than office software? Because computer game software is
>designed by people who like to play computer games.

>If CAD software is difficult to use, perhaps you need different people
>designing it.

     The only flaw I see in this chain of logic is that the Computer Gamer
     interfaces with what is usually an artificial environment. Unlike the
     3D model designer, the gamer has limited control over the true form of
     this virtual world.

     In 3d modeling, you are able to start with a blank space and add your
     ideas and imagination to create something to meet a specific need.
     Ultimately, there are no boundaries except those you impose upon
     yourself such as form, function, cost, and manufacturing methods.

     The typical computer game begins with most of these options either
     preset or with very limited choices. In a world of unlimited options,
     it is only a select few who can truly create from scratch. Most of us
     build upon the ideas and concepts of those who have done this before,
     with the end result being an "evolved" design.

     I see much of the 3d design software evolving into a specification
     sheet concept where the actual design is produced by the software
     using a matrix of widgets that are combined to produce the desired
     result.

     The aesthetic creativity that an artist seeks to incorporate into his
     or her work requires more than a specification sheet control program.

     This also means that the true designer or artist must work with tools
     that require skill and experience to use, due to the boundless
     environment that they are working in.

     My humble opinion,

     Larry Blasch
     System Administrator for Engineering Services

     OPW Fueling Components Voice: (513) 870-3356
     P.O. Box 405003 Fax: (513) 870-3338
     Cincinnati, OH 45240-5003 USA