Re: Future of RP Re:Further Comments

From: Steven (themissinglink@eznetinc.com)
Date: Mon Dec 14 1998 - 18:44:59 EET

Larry,

Alright you have several very good points but that is based on today. I expect
the speed of RP/RM to increase with time. The capital cost and resin/materials
cost should decrease with time. In five years the math may work.

Actually, I was trying to be a futurist and talk about how things would be.
The numbers I used in my example should make it perfectly clear that I feel
more comfortable with my grasp of the future than the present.

Anyways, the economies of assembly may always favor the large company as you
point out but human desire for uniqueness may become a big factor if the price
difference between cars is a factor less than two instead of 8-10 as in your
example.

Small companies producing unique, even custom, automobiles may compete in the
$25,000-$35,000 price range. People would pay to be unique. Large companies,
producing commodity priced cars, may not be capable or desirous of working in
small batches. Witness my success, albeit limited, in selling higher priced
custom jewelry in a world flooded by commodity priced jewelry. The more I can
leveredge technology to bring my prices in line with theirs, the more market
share I can gain through uniqueness. Or alternatively, the more they will have
to operate like me producing smaller, more unique, batches.

Isn't content king in a commodity saturated environment?

Steve