Re: SL Epoxy and supersonic air flow

From: Nathaniel J. Leon (connectcds@home.com)
Date: Fri Dec 11 1998 - 15:57:27 EET

Bruce:

Though I do not have any exprience with SL parts in wind tunnels. I did
work at the wind tunnels at NASA back in the seventies.

Maybe I can assist you.

There are three things to be concerned about with the supersonic flow.

1. The aerodynamic pressure pressure perse

2. Shock waves which will cause discontinuity in the pressure forces on
the surface

3. Heat

I suspect that you will need to make the plating layers quite thick
especially in and around the areas where the shock waves occur. This may
be problematic especially since you need to control the shape carefully
to ensure that the final plated shape is what the client is looking for.
Minor changes in the shape can cause serious problems with the overall
flow.

Additional you will want to use the best possible techinques to ensure
that the plating is bonded to the resin subsurface.

If you need any more assistance or suggestions do not hesitate to
contact me.

Niel Leon - CDS,inc
Towson, MD 21286-36007
410-826-5028