Re: Silicon Graphics & 3D Software

From: Fusioneng@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 08 1998 - 19:29:03 EET

In a message dated 98-12-08 11:23:23 EST, philip.price@roverpte.demon.co.uk
writes:

<< Does anyone know what is happening with 3D Systems software and the use
 of Silicon Graphics Workstations after the release of its NT version in
 March 1999. Information is sadly lacking from 3D on this subject other
 than the message 'It will not be Tested' coming from their Y2K message
 board on their web site.

 There are real effects going to be felt by all SLA'ers who use SG
 workstations with all development going into NT based products. What I
 would like to know from the mailing list is your levels of confidence
 in continued use of SG or whether we will all have to change hardware
 to PC spec to run the NT version of Maestro software

 Regards

 Phil Price
 Rover Group

My company has a dozen SGI workstations (all obsolete now). We have seen the
slow evolution over to PC's running NT over the last 2-3 years ( We use
mostly ProE). 3D Systems is actually a little behind most of the other
software vendors. I personally would prefer having Maestro with a standard
windows interface on a PC. You get double the perfomance at one fourth the
cost from PC's verses SGI workstations. My opinion is this will be a good
thing since the build station is also on NT this makes the interface much
simpler between the two.
Bob Morton
Fusion Engineering