Re: Fwd: FW: Future of RP

From: Nathaniel J. Leon (connectcds@home.com)
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 18:23:12 EET

Doug/Elaine:

I agree that engineers, designers, and all other people that work in the
design process need to be aware of their duties and made responsible for
what happens in the process as far as they are able to control it. The
earlier an error is corrected the the less it costs to correct.

Unfortunately some time the problem is not simply that the
engineer/designer input "bad data" many of the standard 3-D modeling
programs do not catch the problematic data points.

A good example of this is wire frames. Wire frame CAD programs will not
and can not tell you if there is a gap in the surface that results in
the model not being a solid. Now when the data is sent to the program
that converts the data into a solid that can then be converted to SLA or
SAT model for preparation of the prototype.

Without the correct and easily usable tools how can the engineer or
designer be expected to produce a good model. In this case management
needs to be made aware that their choice of computer program is the
root cause of the error in data transfer.

I use a solids progam. It always give me a true solid or tells me that
there is a problem.

Niel Leon - CDS,inc