Re: FW: Future of RP

From: ATiburon@aol.com
Date: Sat Dec 05 1998 - 03:31:58 EET

In a message dated 98-12-04 12:06:04 EST, ehunt@ces.clemson.edu writes:

<< >Better training of the CAD designers to be better house keepers with their
>files.
>Better checkers in the CAD software for corrupt files.
>Better STL translator!!!!!! >>
I know we have had big discussions about the merits and failings of the stl
format already. I was interested to read about the Fockele und Schwarze SLA
wich doesn't use STL at all! I can guess how they do it. They use ProE to
output succesive crossections in HPGL. (Pretty straightforward since keyboard
macros are facilitated in ProE.) Then Materialize to create the supports. They
even expose different types of geometry with different hatching?, for less
distortion and curl. As long as we are stuck with the STL format accuracy and
surface finish will be limited. Its one thing to defend that format if there
isn't any other way. But those guys have been doing it for several years now.
Why aren't WE?
Andy Scott
Lockheed Martin Aerospace