Re: Fwd: FW: Future of RP

From: Nick Schaefer 6-4884 (nicks@hpbs4645.boi.hp.com)
Date: Fri Dec 04 1998 - 20:37:13 EET

I think there are some good points made here.

> Thought the list might like to hear a dinasaur roar every once in a while.
> I did not write this...instead it was written to me.....I removed all
> traces of ownership...... this person has a lofty viewpoint so I'm asking
> "is he right or wrong?"
>
> >I do not jump into these things on the RPML, but as "old timers" I would
> >like your opinions. 3D printers, copiers in the office areas, are a ways off
> >as I see it. Cost, maintenance, ignorance (engineers break everything they
> >touch), and the fact that half of the files I get are corrupt make this
> >whole idea great, but premature. Here are some ideas:

I don't know about Engineers breaking everything they touch, and the amount of
corrupt files we get is less than half, but we get more that I like.

> >Better training of the CAD designers to be better house keepers with their
> >files.

Couldn't hurt. Most Engineers these days are so busy trying to meet deadlines
that they have a hard time learning any more than enough to get them started
with CAD.

> >Better checkers in the CAD software for corrupt files.

Absolutely! Some are better than others. If there are any that are perfect I
would like to know about them.

> >Better STL translator!!!!!!

Again this depends on the CAD application. Some are plenty good and some
aren't. Most of the problems I have with bad STL files comes from bad bodies of
which the body checker(s) sometimes find and other times don't.

> >Checkers in the build software to deny bad files (obviously there would be
> >thresholds).

This probably would not be a bad idea either since all body checkers are not all
automatic during the CAD process and a lot if Engineers never use them.

> >To put this in context, I have been struggling with the printer hooked up to
> >my docking station for about three months. I am on my third printer, the
> >laptop has been reimaged two times (PAIN!), and these are the experts(?)
> >working on this.

I'm sure there are other stories similar to this however I think most are not
quite this bad. IT professionals need job security too. :^)

Best Regards,

Nick Schaefer

 Hewlett Packard
 Boise Site Mechanical Engineering Services
 Phone : Telnet or (208) 396-4884
 FAX : Telnet or (208) 396-2906
 Unix Email : nicks@boi.hp.com
 PC Email : nick_schaefer@hp.com