Fwd: FW: Future of RP

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 04 1998 - 18:23:34 EET

Thought the list might like to hear a dinasaur roar every once in a while.
I did not write this...instead it was written to me.....I removed all
traces of ownership...... this person has a lofty viewpoint so I'm asking
"is he right or wrong?"

>I do not jump into these things on the RPML, but as "old timers" I would
>like your opinions. 3D printers, copiers in the office areas, are a ways off
>as I see it. Cost, maintenance, ignorance (engineers break everything they
>touch), and the fact that half of the files I get are corrupt make this
>whole idea great, but premature. Here are some ideas:
>Better training of the CAD designers to be better house keepers with their
>files.
>Better checkers in the CAD software for corrupt files.
>Better STL translator!!!!!!
>Checkers in the build software to deny bad files (obviously there would be
>thresholds).
>To put this in context, I have been struggling with the printer hooked up to
>my docking station for about three months. I am on my third printer, the
>laptop has been reimaged two times (PAIN!), and these are the experts(?)
>working on this.
>I think we have a ways to go.

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director
Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
http://chip.eng.clemson.edu/rp/persall/elaine.html