Digitizing / Laser Scanning

From: lonepeak (lonepeak@aros.net)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 17:41:25 EET

We recently bid out a large job that required "reverse engineering" of a
life size, complicated figure (Star Wars kind of detail). This figure
had clothes, earrings, head pieces, etc.

We choose to digitize the figure rather than laser scan it but I am
curious about what experiences others have had in this area and where the
group as a whole feels the state-of-the-art is with respect to digitizing
vs laser scanning is currently.

Our requirements for the project were:

1. Produce both NURBS and Polygon files.
2. Create numerous small scale replicas using FDM and 3DP
3. Create a 20 foot replica
4. Produce CAD files suitable for ProE or I-DEAS
5. Create billboard size renderings.
6. Mirror features that could be mirrored (for example - half the face,
the feet)
7. Not include "blemishes" in the figure that were pointed out by the
artists.
8. Obtain maximum geometry details for all areas, including overhangs
(such as in the ear areas).
9. Realistic (meaning as small as possible) file sizes.

We are very happy with the files that were generated via digitizing but
I would like to hear discussions comparing the two technologies.

Thanks in advance!!!

Alair Griffin
Engineer
Javelin, a Lone Peak Company