[Fwd: Maestro Fee]

From: Ross Gates (selecteng@novagate.com)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 18:18:46 EET

This is a mistake that many people take when purchasing used equipment
that comes with any software. Software cannot be purchased. As far as I
know, there is no software that is purchased, not even from Microsoft.
All software is licensed by the author and is usually non-transferable.
No one seems to read the licensing agreements that come with all
software, but it ususally states that the license is good only to the
person that purchased it. You cannot legally sell or give software to
anyone or use it on multiple computers, without buying another license.

All software authors, authors, artists, musicians, etc., have a right
to fees for the selling or transfering of their work. It is a basic
copyright law that has been around for a long time.

In the case of 3D Systems, they are very much in their right to these
fees. These should have been found out and taken into consideration
during the purchase of the machine. At least you didn't purchase a DTM,
because they have licensing fees on their material, along with the
software. By the way, there are licensing fees for the software on the
machine, also.

Ross Gates
Select Mfg. Services Inc.