Splitting stl Files

From: Doug Greenwood (greenwod@eng.squared.com)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 16:02:28 EET

Hello group,

I have a complex model to make and it exists as a FEM model at the
present time. It has approximately 186,000 nodes and, of course, must be
converted into an stl file. I have a utility to do the conversion, but
the utility is limited to 100,000 nodes. I am exploring the possibility
of modifying the utility to accomodate more nodes, but an alternate
solution is to split the FEM model into two pieces. If I split the FEM,
and don't move the two pieces in space relative to each other (something
I don't want to do because of the application), I'll end up with two stl
files which I can process using Maestro. My question is: when I combine
the two stl files together using Maestro, will I end up with the same
stl file I would have gotten had I been able to convert the entire
186,000 node model in the first place? Alternatively, are their other
methods of converting from an FEM to an stl file? The utility I have is
one from MSC. Thanks for any input, suggestions, etc.

--
Doug Greenwood
Square D Company, Groupe Schneider