Re: Spending Authority/Limits-Advice...

From: Andrew Rich (alrich@bu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 04:54:04 EET

Chris,

If I remember my MBA courses in corporate finance correctly, I think I have the definitive answer for you: Positive NPV

There is no limit but your own cash flow per project. There has been some debate about whether APV, (Adjusted Present Value) or Net Present Value are the best gage for cost evaluation, but that gets into splitting hairs on the RP level of spending.

Essentially, just look at the benefits realized over time: Savings plus added earnings. Do the benefits outweigh the costs? You might have enough cashflow benefit to justify 275 CATIA seats, or one SLA machine might be overspending.

Is that the answer you wanted or did you want a solid number?

Andrew Rich
Boston University