RE: QuickCast

From: Hanna, Paul (phanna@cessna.textron.com)
Date: Tue Dec 01 1998 - 23:09:31 EET

Gary, thanks for your reply.

We know of foundries producing wall thickness' as small as .030 in. but
those walls were small in height and opened up into a larger cavity
allowing for movement of the resin when firing the slurry. We have
produced wall thickness' of .100 in. and they seemed to drain ok. We
are experimenting with beam comp and overcure parameters trying to open
up the meddle of the cavity while staying within tolerances. One thing
we found out while talking to the 3D people is that with the intensified
curing process during the lasering of the quickcast build style, the
resin trapped inside the wall thickens to as much as ten fold. This
hinders the draining process considerably on thin walled geometry's.
Have any of foundries you spoke of produced long thin walled parts? If
so, can you tell me the name of the company and a contact person to
speak to?