Re: inhibition problems with Sl-5510

From: markschanze (mark-s@inav.net)
Date: Tue Dec 01 1998 - 03:30:42 EET

All SLA resins inhibit addition cure silicones to some degree. Thin
sections of silicone are inhibited by 5170. To counter this reaction I use
Krylon crystal clear acrylic spray. A light coat usually does the job.
Adding cure accelerator also works well but creates a fast set that will
not naturally deair so pressurization of 20 psi is required. The cure
accelerator is mostly platinum. Silicones that are already loaded heavily
with platinum will not usually inhibit from SLA resins. I have not used
5510 so I don't know how much platinum is required to compensate for the
inhibition from the free amines in the epoxy. Feel free to e-mail me for a
list of silicone manufacturers that supply heavily loaded platinum
silicones (the resins you have mentioned don't). I would give this list to
"the list" but I don't want to ruffle anyones feathers, I'm in a nice mood
tonight, must be the season! Good luck and keep trying!
Mark Schanze
Molding Technologies Manager
CIVCO Medical Instruments
102 Highway 1 South