RE: FW: !! Wanted Home Product Assemblers !!

From: Tom Richards (tomr@aicasting.com)
Date: Mon Nov 30 1998 - 14:29:18 EET

At 01:31 PM 11/30/98 -0000, you wrote:
>TRASH???????

Thank you Matt for some insightful (not inciteful!) thinking.

I suppose the question devolves about two extremes, with high volume
manufacture of like widgets at the one extreme, and with one of a kind
widget parts produced in the required material of construction, machined,
heat treated, plated, burnished, whatever, and ready to be assembled into a
widget in my cottage, at the other extreme.

The latter extreme is unlikely, as I don't believe that any one artisan can
be quite that accomplished.

However, there is a huge need for the first widget in days, and for the next
twenty or a few hundred widgets in a couple of weeks or less, which have all
of the properties and features of the high volume manufactured widgets to
follow, at an attractive price.

I do think that artisans will more and more link themselves into agile
enterprises and be capable applying their core competencies for such
preliminary manufacturing. "Agile Artisans" will emerge in our new field of
RP&M.