RP leveling the playing field

From: Steven (themissinglink@eznetinc.com)
Date: Sat Nov 28 1998 - 22:33:33 EET

I agree that RP will allow the small manufacturer to compete effectively
with larger operations. Mass customization is achievable. I differ
however on whether the masses will ever buy RP machines for use with
their own CAD files.

Most people are not creative or technically oriented. People will
always rely on someone with technical expertise to create their piece.

Take jewelry for instance. I do not see many people going out to learn
CAD designing and purchasing an RP machine, even if it was cheap.
Jewelry tools are relatively innexpensive now ($3,000 outfits you) but
only a few adventuous hobbyists bother. Most people I encounter in my
jewelry store need to see something to understand it. I provide 3D
sketches for my custom work but only a percentage of people feel
comfortable going ahead with the project unless the drawing is based
somewhat on a piece I have in the store. Then I carve the wax by hand
and show them the 3D model. They understand a bit more but without the
stones and gold color, they are mainly interested in knowing that I, the
goldsmith, think the project is progressing well. They feed off my
confidence.

Then, even if someone were to be adventurous enough to produce a CAD
file of their own, they do not have the technical goldsmithing expertise
to know how thick to make the walls, what the inside diameter of a size
6 1/2 ring is, what space is necessary in a channel to accept a
particular size diamond. As the goldsmith, I am still the gatekeeper of
the necessary technical information independent of the CAD/CAM process.

CAD/CAM is a tool for the professional for a long time to come. The
benefits of falling RP prices go to the small operator with low capital
and high skill levels. The enslavement of the skilled craftsman by the
corporation because of economies of scale is about to end.

Steven Pollack
http://www.familyjeweler.com